The Watchman's Cry  

Go Back   The Watchman's Cry > Fellowship Hall > The Courtyard of Discussion

Old 04-17-2016, 09:55 AM
Senior Member Formerly ageorgantas

Default Salt and Pearls

I know we have talked about this before, but I'm a slow learner, apparently. Will you please weigh in again about when we should stand up for God and righteousness (be the salt), and when we should ignore things because it wouldn't help anyway (not casting pearls before swine)? I try to go by the Holy Spirit's leading, but I have to say that my tendency is to jump in and start mouthing.

Today, for example, I got into an argument on Facebook about Christians' constitutional right to decline to participate in gay marriage (in light of the overturning of laws in favor of allowing Christians to do so). The conversation ended when I said the other lady could have the last word, and she called me unintelligent and rude (I wasn't. I just said that today it was two bouquets and tomorrow it would be a bouquet and a bridle. Another lady said that I "hurt her" by making the comparison.)

As a general rule, do we jump in to defend or do we ignore and let them wallow?

Greek Girl
Old 04-17-2016, 10:11 AM

Generally speaking, I weigh in, let my stand be known, and when it sinks to name calling, accusations and the like, I silence myself.

I know what you mean about facebook. I'm on there to remain in contact with some family and few friends, but people really have low tolerance for opinions/beliefs that vary from their own. It's the only form of contact my sister and I have had since childhood (we're both in our late 40's). My sister as one example, a militant lesbian, atheistic, talking head for PP, is one of those people who loves to resort to bashing, slandering, and making wild accusations and generalizations.

She knows my belief on all of the "issues" from time to time, "baiting" me into a discussion only for the purpose of getting into an argument. I make my stand crystal clear, but won't sink to her level. If my flesh is allowed to rise up and argue, Christ is not glorified and my testimony is tarnished. Don't want that.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:16 AM
Mod-er-rator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek Girl View Post
I know we have talked about this before, but I'm a slow learner, apparently. Will you please weigh in again about when we should stand up for God and righteousness (be the salt), and when we should ignore things because it wouldn't help anyway (not casting pearls before swine)? I try to go by the Holy Spirit's leading, but I have to say that my tendency is to jump in and start mouthing.

Today, for example, I got into an argument on Facebook about Christians' constitutional right to decline to participate in gay marriage (in light of the overturning of laws in favor of allowing Christians to do so). The conversation ended when I said the other lady could have the last word, and she called me unintelligent and rude (I wasn't. I just said that today it was two bouquets and tomorrow it would be a bouquet and a bridle. Another lady said that I "hurt her" by making the comparison.)

As a general rule, do we jump in to defend or do we ignore and let them wallow?

Greek Girl
Dear Greek Girl,

Please, dear sister, explain to me the "I just said that today it was two bouquets and tomorrow it would be a bouquet and a bridle." I apologize for not getting it. Maybe it is too early in the day for me.

KJV - Psa 37: 1 - 5 "Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass."
Old 04-17-2016, 10:33 AM

Default Good plan!

HisDoulas: A bridle is worn by a horse. I said that today society decided homosexuality was fine, but tomorrow it could be polygamy, pedophilia, or bestiality. This was the comment that they were calling rude.

Quote:
Generally speaking, I weigh in, let my stand be known, and when it sinks to name calling, accusations and the like, I silence myself.
This is a good plan, Rejoice!, and I think I did that. I ignored her insults (she said Jesus didn't discriminate and wasn't arrogant -- like some of his followers [meaning me]) and stuck to the facts, praying before every response so that I brought glory to God and not shame. But the conversation did degenerate quickly, and I was left wondering if my actions were causing her to dig deeper into the defense of evil. Was I harming this woman in my attempt to stand up for what was good?

Thanks for helping me sort this out. I really appreciate your responses.

Greek Girl
Old 04-17-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek Girl View Post
But the conversation did degenerate quickly, and I was left wondering if my actions were causing her to dig deeper into the defense of evil. Was I harming this woman in my attempt to stand up for what was good?

Greek Girl
You can never cause harm (except to maybe the devil...but we want that, amen?) by being honest, standing firm in your faith, and planting seeds.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:09 AM
Mod-er-rator

Dear Greek Girl:

Thanks, for your explanation. Now, I understand the context in which you made the bouquet and bridle remark. As you know, dear one, FB is an interesting place. It is a both a blessing and a curse.

It really is representative of the world in which we live. Some folks are real, some artificial and some are down right aggressive and vicious. And like this earth in which we live in.....but are not a part of.....we have to use wisdom and discernment and a healthy measure of caution. Not all the people want Jesus. As matter of fact, as you know from the market place of life....most do Not want HIM, they really hate HIM.

I have found, even some so called Christians who post often on FB with "a word" can be out in left field. They have a form of godliness but deny the power, because they have deified mankind and Not the Great I AM. There's no contentment, no peace and no kindness in their words. Their "word" lacks substance, a mere vapor, of empty prattle.

I said that to say this.... (thank you for your patience).

Greek Girl, it takes strength to walk away from those who choose to argue with you over these major issues of life ie: homosexual "marriages." In The Word Romans 1 describes for us those who have vile affections, the reprobate mind, the unrighteousness, etc. Those demonic entities hang all over and possess and come out of the mouths of those who open the door to satan and invite him in..... ie: homosexuality.

What did Jesus HIMself do when satan was attacking and accusing HIM? Remember? HE gave The Word and then departed. Often, that is the very best we can do.

Quote:
But the conversation did degenerate quickly, and I was left wondering if my actions were causing her to dig deeper into the defense of evil. Was I harming this woman in my attempt to stand up for what was good?
When you gave her the Truth. At that point she had three choices, really. Accept. Reject. Or ponder for later.

Be at peace, beloved sister. You planted a seed in a stony heart of hard ground. GOD alone knows where it will lead.

KJV - Psa 37: 1 - 5 "Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass."
Old 04-17-2016, 12:36 PM

Default Thank you!

Thank you, sisters. You guys are so awesome!

Greek Girl