The Watchman's Cry  

Go Back   The Watchman's Cry > Fellowship Hall > General Discussions

Old 10-24-2016, 06:59 AM

Default Another dog encounter

I am on vacation this week, so I've been going out early to take my walk. This morning, I encountered 2 loose dogs. One medium sized and one smaller one. I already had my pepper spray in my hand, with finger on the trigger because of two pit bulls I pass on the way home. They are always chained, but I know those dogs are strong and could break loose of those chains, so I'm always 'armed and ready' when I go by that house. (It's at the corner closest to our house.) Anyway, as I came to end of my route, I decided to go a bit longer and walk around my block. At the opposite end of the block, the 2 loose dogs came running and barking at me. I charged at them and yelled. The small one backed off, but the other one was like, "You don't scare me." So I waited until he got close enough, and I sprayed him. Thankfully, he took off.

I called the dog pound as soon as I got home. They were really surprised when I said the one dog charged at me after I yelled at him, so I sprayed him. She was like, "Really???" Then she said, "We'll send him right out." At least they weren't wasting time in getting them picked up.

I told hubby if I'd had my 22 with me, I probably would have shot the dog. The only reason I don't carry when I'm walking is because if there would be any negative publicity in the paper about it, listing my name, I'd lose my job. Yep, really, I would. I hate that at times I do feel like I have to put my personal security to the side, for the sake of keeping my job.

So hubby and I are going to see about buying a bb pistol gun or a pellet gun. At least I could use one of those and feel better armed, w/o feeling like I'd be in danger of losing my job if I used one of those on an aggressive dog.

Luke 21:36 "Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

We will either dwell in the secret place of the Most High or our flesh will make us want to hide things in secret. -- Nathan Leal
Old 10-24-2016, 05:45 PM
Mod-er-rator

In your area (within the city limits) can you shoot, anything at a loose animal, without having the police finding fault with you?

KJV - Psa 37: 1 - 5 "Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass."
Old 10-25-2016, 05:24 AM

Not sure on that, but I think so. I will ask one of my LEO buddies when I return to work.

Luke 21:36 "Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

We will either dwell in the secret place of the Most High or our flesh will make us want to hide things in secret. -- Nathan Leal
Old 10-25-2016, 06:30 AM

Not only that, a BB pistol will just make the dog mad. It's not going to do enough damage to detour an angry dog.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADONE View Post
Not only that, a BB pistol will just make the dog mad. It's not going to do enough damage to detour an angry dog.
Thanks for sharing that info. Hadn't thought of it in that light.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:06 PM

Pepper spray is probably your best bet. Bear spray would even be better if you can get it. I understand that it can be illegal in some areas.

Denny
Old 10-25-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Pepper spray is probably your best bet. Bear spray would even be better if you can get it. I understand that it can be illegal in some areas.

Denny
One of my LEO friends suggested carrying wasp spray because it has more spray power and will spray farther than the pepper spray. I like that idea, but I really don't want to carry a big can of wasp spray with me every time I go for a walk.