The Watchman's Cry  

Go Back   The Watchman's Cry > Fellowship Hall > The Courtyard of Discussion

Old 10-30-2016, 12:00 PM
Senior Member Formerly ageorgantas

Default Halloween

I have been lukewarm for most of my life, so I always let my kids trick-or-treat and go to church harvest festivals -- all in "good, clean fun." Now that I'm closer to God, I recognize that participating in Halloween is not glorifying to God. Last year, my husband worked, and I stayed hidden upstairs with all the lights out (as hundreds of trick-or-treaters passed my door).

This year, I find myself in possession of a whole bunch of Bible tracts, and I was wondering if passing out tracts along with candy to trick-or-treaters might be a better way to glorify God. Or, my church is having a NO costumes & candy -YES pizza & games night, so I could go to that and help with the kids, but some believe that even participating in ANY kind of celebration is getting too close to the line.

My husband is still in the "good, clean fun" mindset, so I had to do some major persuading to keep him from carving the pumpkin he bought.

Any thoughts on this?

Greek Girl
Old 10-30-2016, 01:27 PM
Watchman's Wifey and Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek Girl View Post
I have been lukewarm for most of my life, so I always let my kids trick-or-treat and go to church harvest festivals -- all in "good, clean fun." Now that I'm closer to God, I recognize that participating in Halloween is not glorifying to God. Last year, my husband worked, and I stayed hidden upstairs with all the lights out (as hundreds of trick-or-treaters passed my door).

This year, I find myself in possession of a whole bunch of Bible tracts, and I was wondering if passing out tracts along with candy to trick-or-treaters might be a better way to glorify God. Or, my church is having a NO costumes & candy -YES pizza & games night, so I could go to that and help with the kids, but some believe that even participating in ANY kind of celebration is getting too close to the line.

My husband is still in the "good, clean fun" mindset, so I had to do some major persuading to keep him from carving the pumpkin he bought.

Any thoughts on this?

Greek Girl
I think that is a great idea.

Those little kids who come to your door are not worshiping Satan.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:28 PM

Default Thank you!

Thank you, Donna! We are not OF this world, but for a while longer (God willing) we are IN it. I love that you guys are so level-headed here when it comes to things like holidays. Romans 14:3 seems to sum up the holiday situation, too, IMHO.

Greek Girl
Old 10-30-2016, 04:58 PM
Watchman's Wifey and Mod

Quote:
Thank you, Donna! We are not OF this world, but for a while longer (God willing) we are IN it. I love that you guys are so level-headed here when it comes to things like holidays. Romans 14:3 seems to sum up the holiday situation, too, IMHO.

Greek Girl
Just imagine a little boy about 12 getting that tract. He goes home eats the candy plays some video games...then picks up the tract and reads it.

He puts it away...but two days later he wants to read it again, the Holy Spirit keeps drawing him back. It sparks a light in his heart...

At school a friend then invites him to church. He thinks, "I want to know more about this JESUS that tract talks about, I am gonna go".

A month later when that boy is in service there is an alter call...the Holy Spirit has been drawing that child since the day you placed that tract in his candy bag....

He goes to the front and gives his life his heart to JESUS and repents...

It all started on a day that supposedly belongs to Satan....

GOD is the creator of every day of our life...

He can use any day to start drawing people to HIM....but with your idea of one little tract attached to a piece of candy....

Old 10-30-2016, 05:31 PM

Default Parents too

For some of the kids, they will be too little to understand, but maybe parents might pick them up. I found two different companies on Twitter (of all places) that send free tracts. I ordered them, but I've never handed out tracts before in my life, so they just sat there. One place is Bezeugen.org. They send slick, full-colored business-card sized tracts that will be perfect. The other company is a ministry called "Set the Captives Free Ministries" They sent a mish-mash of sizes and kinds.

I will let you guys know how it goes.

Greek Girl
Old 10-30-2016, 06:13 PM
Mod-er-rator

Short but true stories incidents

I was briefly watching some children for their parent. Since it was fall we were talking about Thanksgiving and what their family's traditional food was ie: turkey, cranberry, etc. When I mentioned pumpkin the child quickly informed me that pumpkins were evil. That Mama did not even let them touch them because people used pumpkins for Halloween and they were "unclean." Now a 9 year old child could have gotten that all wrong, but I seriously doubt it.

Today, I was preparing to pray with someone when she asked if it was okay to use the word "God?" I asked where that came from. And the person explained the source and so-called "biblical" reasoning.

My point? Ritualistic, Pharisaical thinking gets us in trouble, every time.

Greek Girl, that is a great idea and you are right we are Not of this world but we are in this world, to make a difference!!! I wholeheartedly agree with Donna's expounding upon the possible out-come to your out-reach.

It seems to me we must seize every opportunity to reveal GOD's gift and love to a dying world. Even at Halloween.

KJV - Psa 37: 1 - 5 "Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass."
Old 10-30-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:

Any thoughts on this?

Greek Girl

I made a big mistake, that I regret to this day, I just wish I could go back and change what I did. You see when we as a family became Born Again Christians, in early 1975, as we where attending meetings with The Plymouth Brethren, we learned they don't celebrate, Easter, Halloween, or Christmas just to mention a few.

So what did I do? Well I just stopped my family cold turkey, from celebrating these three holidays all together. My three boys had the worst time of their lives, as they had to explain to other children, why their Dad would not let them participate in these American festivities.

Like Donna said they are innocent, not relating any of this of being Satanic, because we as a family, had always celebrated these Holidays in a big way with all our Extended Family and Friends, including, Presents, Food, and all the Trimmings, as we all gathered around a huge family table.

Even today as the boys now have their own families, remind me of how hard it was for them to except my order, to never celebrate these Holidays in the fashion we were used to doing.

They now celebrate these Holidays, as Christians in their own way, with their Hearts knowing, the real truth, about how these Holidays do not honor God or His Son Jesus Christ, but contribute to buying and selling of commercial products to a Babylon System.

You see Jesus knows your Heart, it's not food and drink that defiles us, but it's the very word that you speak, because that comes from your Heart.

God Bless

Yes we use to hand out tracks also, at different parades, and State celebrations, I would find them on the ground afterwards, I often wondered how many of the tracks may it to their homes or did they ever read them at all. Only God Knows the answer to that.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:42 PM

Default Thrown away

Thanks for sharing your experiences, all!

Yes, it occurred to me that some/most/all? might be thrown away as parents go through the candy bag to inspect for harmful items, but what if even ONE found it's mark? I think that would be worth sitting out on the driveway for a couple hours with $6.00 worth of candy.

My husband did agree NOT to carve the pumpkin, but he thinks I'm crazy for handing out tracts and won't have anything to do with it. He told me that I was getting a little Bible-thumpy... Maybe that's a compliment in some weird way. Ha ha!

Greek Girl
Old 10-31-2016, 02:29 PM
Mod-er-rator

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experiences, all!

Yes, it occurred to me that some/most/all? might be thrown away as parents go through the candy bag to inspect for harmful items, but what if even ONE found it's mark? I think that would be worth sitting out on the driveway for a couple hours with $6.00 worth of candy.

My husband did agree NOT to carve the pumpkin, but he thinks I'm crazy for handing out tracts and won't have anything to do with it. He told me that I was getting a little Bible-thumpy... Maybe that's a compliment in some weird way. Ha ha!

Greek Girl
ROFL. Told a sister today that she was a Jesus Freak..... and over the top!

We both laughed together remembering that's how Keith Green referred to himself years ago. Love it!!!

KJV - Psa 37: 1 - 5 "Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass."
Old 10-31-2016, 05:46 PM

I said prayers over the tracts, and another brother in Christ agreed with me. Praying that they will plant a seed God can water. Amen.

Another Jesus Freak