The Watchman's Cry  

Go Back   The Watchman's Cry > Fellowship Hall > Preparation

Old 10-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Watchman on the Wall

Default Preparation: Spiritual vs. Practical

Greetings Brethren. I just wanted to post this message for the record.

It is the opinion of this watchman that in order to face and endure the dark days ahead, preparation needs to take place NOW.

As Christians and followers of Yeshua, the most vital preparation that we can do is spiritual. Everyone of us must get our spiritual lives in order. This must be done with repentance and self examination which leads to spiritual "house cleaning". Also included in this task would be the challenge to our loved ones to do likewise.

By spiritually hiding ourselves in the shelter of God's wing can we then move to practical preparation.

And practical preparation also has an important role in the matters facing us. There are some that would say that preparation is only "spiritual".

According to the Bible, preparation covers both categories; spiritual and practical. The gospel story is a narrative on spiritual preparation.

But also included in the Scriptures, we see practical preparation revealed with the scriptual example of "the wise man" verses "the foolish man".
The book of Psalms and Proverbs is full of these comparisons, as are other books in the Bible.

Example: "A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself: but the simple pass on, and are punished." Proverbs 22:3

The story of Joseph's famine is a great example on practical preparation. Those that did not prepare became slaves to Pharoah.

There are many other biblical examples that would confirm my point.

After watching my family endure Hurricane Ike in Houston, Texas, there can be NO doubt that practical wisdom and preparation affected people's outcome. The lesson that I observe in that event is that those that were not prepared in advance had to stand in line for food.

So, one piece of advice that I gather for all of us, aside from spiritual preparation is this:
Those that do not prepare, WILL stand in line!

The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for all of us to come together, exchange ideas, and discuss these matters.

Please be polite. We are in this together.

God Bless You,
Nathan - A Watchman
Old 10-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Watchman on the Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rddaymessenger View Post
Brother Watchman; what would be some examples of "practical" preparation that you are refering to?
The practical preparation that I am talking about is about being wise like a farmer or an ant.

There are many areas of scripture about planting seeds and hard work.

This is the unfortunate part of Adam's curse. We must work by the sweat of our brows.

Christian people must wake up everyday and go to work to provide for their families. The Bible makes it clear that there are lazy people out there. But it challenges all of us to be hard workers.

Preparation is no different.

Noah worked hard physically to prepare.

Preparation is spiritual (repentance) and practical (hard work).

Nathan
Old 12-03-2008, 10:12 PM

Dear Nathan,
I need several questions answered and I've listened to you for quite a while now and I really like the things you do and I believe The Lord has blessed you so I thought it would be fitting to come to you. For many years now I've had a very heavy I don't know what you would call it maybe prompting? to pray for the salvation of people I mean to the point where if I'm driving down the road and I pass someone on the shoulder I feel this need. As times grow worse on the world stage the prompting has grown to the point if I knew everyones name I would probably name them all one by one.Now contrary to what this sounds like I am of sound mind. I am naturally assuming this prompting is the Holy Spirit. Are there other people out there like me? Or maybe I'm not of sound mind like I think I am.
The next question is how can I prepare for the things ahead? I have alot of health issues and I feel stuck. The funny thing is I pray and pray about this and I haven't gotten any answers. I try to just focus on Jesus Knowing he will take care of me and my son but when I read how people are preparing and somedays I can't even get up it just gets a little un-nerving. Thank You for your Time
Old 12-04-2008, 05:43 AM

Default Practical Preparations

Let me share how we are preparing at our house.

We have purchased firearms and ammunition for both self-protection and hunting. I don't wish to start a debate about living by the sword and all that. I'm just being realistic. If people will trample a person to death to save $20 on a TV, what will they do when the shelves are empty and they are hungry? We are allowed to protect ourselves and our family. We have several military personnel in our neighborhood who have expressed an interest in forming a type of militia in case things get bad.

We have stocked food, water, and seeds (to plant in the future). We are building a solar panel to supply some basic electrical needs for our house. We are in the process of getting bug out backpacks ready. We have made preparations for alternative heat sources (kerosene heater, emergency solar blankets, hand/foot warmers, etc.). We are stocking batteries, lanterns, candles, etc. We have bleach on hand to sterilize water and a propane stove with extra canisters. We are planning on getting some water sterilization equipment.

We have a basic first aid kit and have ordered some specialized supplies. We have natural alternatives to prescription medicines where we can find them on hand. We are stocking vitamins (make sure they will dissolve--some don't).

We already have games on hand to play. We have a solar powered charger for our cell phone and a hand crank weather radio that has a flashlight and will charge a cell phone. We also have walkie-talkies.

These to me are practical things that will cover anything from a longer than usual power outage on up.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:40 AM

Cheryl-
My aresenal will/does have colloidal silver, olive leaf extract and bentonite clay. I make the colloidal silver and olive leaf extract (way cheaper and I know what I'm getting). All three of those will handle some serious or not so serious emergencies. We will ad gauze, band aides, gauze pads, slings and iodine. Apple cider vinegar (Braggs) and unsulfered black strap molasses, garlic capsules and fish oil and a basic vitamin/mineral supplement. All these will make a well rounded nutritional supplement at relative low cost. I do have some essential oils available as well. Lavender, tea tree, cloves, cinnamon and peppermint are the most versatile to keep the costs and volume of supplies down.

Gibby has offered excellent well rounded advice. I don't have enough funds at the moment to add many of the mechanical/hardgoods. So far we have purchased (when we shop) extra water, powdered milk, noodles, peanut butter, crackers, dinty moore stew, tuna, canned chicken, applesauce, cereal, nuts and dried fruit. I vacume pack the crackers and such so they don't spoil. Watching for sales and making sure there is food that doesn't need to be cooked in case of no power. Will be ordering powdered eggs (pasturized) soon. A few years back we were part of the eastern states that the power grid went down. Believe me, you couldn't even get gas for your generator, the pumps wouldn't work. No money from banks, atms, no stores open at all cause of no power. It was a couple of years after 911 and everyone was pretty scarred at first. Put your important documents in a sealed plastic bag ready to grab if you must. We have it pre planned where we will meet up if necessary should we be separated.

It in a way sounds overwhelming and there is no way I could prepare enough. We do what we can do and must rely on God during the preparation and after. Just start however small and God will begin to show you things. I'm physically challenged also and God is good.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:35 AM

I'll go into more detail later (I'm @ work now and a little swamped!!), but just to give you an idea...

My husband is diabetic, so garlic tablets and cinnamon are good natural remedies. St. John's Wort for depression. Those kinds of things.

We got a specialized clotting agent that would even take care of arterial bleeding for wounds. We suspect we will be dealing with things we haven't before and hospitals/emergency services will not be readily available or overwhelmed. Since we have survival knives and a machete, cuts may happen and should be taken care of as soon as possible to prevent infection. We plan on getting masks for flu prevention.

We have been stocking up on baby wipes for personal hygeine when we might be unable to take a bath especially keeping in mind we still have to live together!! Keeping extra TP, soap, shampoo, etc. on hand. You should still be able to use your toilets as long as you have water on hand to fill the tank. This should NOT be your drinking water!!

We look for sales on foods and then stock up. We also replace things as we use them and rotate out stock. Looking at dates is very important. For instance we have two years on our canned meats. Beans are also an excellent source of protein. We also have powdered milk on hand. Just make sure not to get from Asian countries because of the melamine scare.

To make sure you actually get the vitamins into your system once you take the pill, you should test your vitamins to make sure they dissolve. Put a tablet into a glass of water. If the tablet does not dissolve, it is basically worthless to your body because you won't get the vitamins contained within.

Hope this helps to get you started!!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:18 AM

Oh yeah, don't forget a can opener that does not operate on electricity or even batteries!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WecryMercy View Post
Quote:
Dear Nathan,
I need several questions answered and I've listened to you for quite a while now and I really like the things you do and I believe The Lord has blessed you so I thought it would be fitting to come to you. For many years now I've had a very heavy I don't know what you would call it maybe prompting? to pray for the salvation of people I mean to the point where if I'm driving down the road and I pass someone on the shoulder I feel this need. As times grow worse on the world stage the prompting has grown to the point if I knew everyones name I would probably name them all one by one.Now contrary to what this sounds like I am of sound mind. I am naturally assuming this prompting is the Holy Spirit. Are there other people out there like me? Or maybe I'm not of sound mind like I think I am.
The next question is how can I prepare for the things ahead? I have alot of health issues and I feel stuck. The funny thing is I pray and pray about this and I haven't gotten any answers. I try to just focus on Jesus Knowing he will take care of me and my son but when I read how people are preparing and somedays I can't even get up it just gets a little un-nerving. Thank You for your Time

God Bless, you should take comfort in this for it is a heart of an intercessors. And you are of sound mind

Please allow me to encourage you to continue being obedient to this. I personally Have seen the Father do some wonderful work through the quiet (although sometimes you actually aren't so quiet inside) prayer of an intercessor. If you will continue you will find HE will also continue in HIS confidence of you and many news things will be opened to you. I won"t say that everything that has to be accomplished to bring in the will of Father, has to be prayed for, but I can sure tell you HE truly works through this form of prayer. IT is the HOLY SPIRIT groaning to the Father on behave of others.(not in some unknown language, but from you heart) There are somethings I would willing to share with you, but I will do them through PM if you are interested just PM me..

You truly are an intercessor if the Father has touched your heart in this way.

Praise HIM for it, and continue on this road to discipleship. For it is just beginning and you will be tested many times..

Blessings donna

Wow I really felt lead to come back and add this: Remember what the Father uses, the enemy abusess..

This part is my own advice. just in case you never PM. I really want to share this for you. Intercession is a moving of the SPIRIT of God and for the most part, He speaks of redeeming Things, LIFE Bearing things. Salvation, marriage, even health. So please be careful who you learn from, many spiritualist will jump on this calling and lead you down a path of "blessing others in your own authority. LET Me assure you.. YOU have none.. Jesus is the only one with the authority, and power, He is merely using you as a hand, foot, or eye etc.. JUST please keep that in your heart for I assure you the enemy will find a way to offer you this in order to produce pride, Many have fallen from the arrows of the enemy on this path.
Thank You so much for answering, I'm not that familiar with talking on these sites. What's a PM ? And how do you do it? Thanks Again
Old 12-04-2008, 12:18 PM

I sent you one quick little message but I don't see it posted I truly don't understand how this site completely works. Anyway It took me a few minutes to absorb what you said and then I cried because I always felt useless in Our Lords Kingdom. If this is what is happening then this just makes me the happiest person in the world.I am truly the least of the least and to have this privilege is beyond anything I could ever have imagined. Thank You so much for your time. Just in case you didn't get my other message, What is a PM? and how do you do it ? God Bless
Old 12-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Watchman's Wifey and Mod

putzicaf,
a pm is a private message. You do it by clicking your mouse on the name of the person you want to pm. A drop down menu will appear, go down to private message and a new typing box will appear. Type your message there and hit send, then you will have a private conversation with another member.
Donna

Computer speak can be difficult to pick up