The Watchman's Cry  

Go Back   The Watchman's Cry > Fellowship Hall > Preparation

Old 01-04-2016, 05:02 PM

Default Bottled water - does it really expire?

I have a few containers of water stored, but the cheapest quickest way for me to store water is to buy when there's 12 bottles on sale for $1.99. The expiry date for the current ones at the supermarket is Feb 2017. We usually drink boiled water from the tap. Will the bottled water really expire and be undrinkable after Feb 2017?
Psalm 37:39-40 "39 But the salvation of the righteous is of the Lord: he is their strength in the time of trouble. 40 And the Lord shall help them, and deliver them: he shall deliver them from the wicked, and save them, because they trust in him.".
Old 01-05-2016, 06:49 PM

I stocked a lot of bottled water (Aquafina) for Y2k in plastic bottle 6-paks in an extra room of the house. Over time the level of water dropped significantly in most bottles and didn't want to drink any of it. This was when the plastic was much thicker than today AND it was not blessed by the Lord. Back then, I was more into prepping, patriotism, and prophesy, than into a relationship with God. I also had gallon plastic jugs etc... so if the Lord doesn't bless it, I would not use plastic. I can't tell you what to use, only that plastic isn't good for the long term.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:13 PM

All solids are made up of moving molecules, so some deteriorate faster than others.

Plastic has more fume-like molecule releases (apologies if explaining volatility incorrectly) than rocks, metal, or glass. So you will end up with plastic particles in your water, and it will taste that way.

Also bottled water won't have the chlorine that killls germs in tap water; so they might not want to guarantee mold or other critters will not grow over time.

There's not a lot for them to grow on, but most survival manuals suggest adding a drop of chlorine or iodine to stored water.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:49 PM

I can't tell you the science behind it, but I started stocking cases of bottled water in 2008 in a temperature controlled room of our home. I've noticed very little dissipation, but there is a slight (very slight) "plastic" taste to the water now.

We have a crown berkey now and in a situation where we depend upon the bottled water for survival, I reckon I could dump the bottled water into the berkey to filter it.

But I don't think water really expires.

Maybe boil it if you had to or are nervous about drinking anything with a plastic smell, but I would never dump it.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejoice! View Post
I can't tell you the science behind it, but I started stocking cases of bottled water in 2008 in a temperature controlled room of our home. I've noticed very little dissipation, but there is a slight (very slight) "plastic" taste to the water now.

We have a crown berkey now and in a situation where we depend upon the bottled water for survival, I reckon I could dump the bottled water into the berkey to filter it.

But I don't think water really expires.

Maybe boil it if you had to or are nervous about drinking anything with a plastic smell, but I would never dump it.
I second that. I also have a berkey and wouldn't dump it either. Filter it, boil it or add a little bleach if not all the above. I save our well water in plastic containers. I just plan on running it through the filter when the time comes to use it. I don't think water expires but I do think things get in it over time that you will want to get out before you drink it.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:38 AM

Agreed, don't dump it. Just use it to wash hands and clothes and drink the newer water. H20 won't "go bad."

Proteins attract bacteria, and oils get rancid, including those in grains. But water is more constant.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:15 AM

Water can store in well-cleaned glass jars, with a drop of bleach. Before screwing on the cap, put a sandwich bag or plastic wrap to block rust from forming on the metal lid. Then just keep them lined up in the basement if you have one. (Others in the house don't grasp why I store water, so I keep it out of sight.)

Plastic has more give-and-take if there's a freeze, but glass is healthier to store in. When storing in plastic, squeeze out some of the air before sealing, to provide room for expansion. Many plastic bottles already have shapes built in for expansion, but can tip over if a freeze expands them.