The Watchman's Cry  

Go Back   The Watchman's Cry > Fellowship Hall > The Courtyard of Discussion

Old 03-22-2016, 11:43 AM

Cool What did I DO?

During the season of Lent, we are reminded of our fallibilities and our failure at being on a path toward holiness. We are reminded of mercy while at the same time asking for God’s forgiveness. It is a time of solemn observance of the sacrificial life of Christ. Strangely sad and at the same time victoriously joyful, we realize that one day we too must face the inevitable.
Faced with these facts, we must choose between courage and holiness or the designed life carefully made of barriers, walls and methods of cut throat survival. It is striking particularly therefore, when we meet other believers and in an instant know that they too are a member of the family of God. And yet we see the poor behavior that is the latter of the two methods.
Recently, I was struck by this when I was standing in line to pay for my goods in a small city at humble Walmart. Evidently, my taking a place in line displaced someone who was not standing there but rather was looking at magazines nearby. The disgruntled husband picked up his wife’s items and stood in line behind me. He mumbled something angrily under his breath about me taking her spot.
I ignored this, because I figured naturally they would see that standing in line means just that: standing in line. This Christian didn’t even see the wife! So what you might ask? In realizing what had just occurred the entire family of four was glaring at me while at the same time grinning (very fake) at me. The look made me shudder. So this was a great inconvenience and undoing off all things right? Really?
Unnerved this Christian kept her place in line, was polite to the cashier and collected my things to rush out of the building. Of the things that go on in the world that are wrong, the saddest of all is that in the family of God the tritest of things bring us apart. At the time when we need each other the most, we are counting our blessings and at the same time thinking, “Thank God I’m not him or her!”
So are we sinning when we stand in line when that is what other people (who are not Christians) expect us to do? Is it being compliant with the world, or was this behavior not justified? Certainly not. Being in the world and not of it does not mean ignoring the obvious un-sinful rules.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:58 AM
Mod-er-rator

John 15: 18 "If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you."

Luke 6:22 "Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man's sake."

You do Not have to do anything.

The fact that you just exist, irritates some folks.

Many are easily offended these days and strike out at the true sheep. You are in good company, saint, do not dwell upon it. Pray instead for those who choose to be your enemy.

KJV - Psa 37: 1 - 5 "Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass."
Old 07-04-2016, 08:38 AM

It probably would have surprised them if you had apologized and offered your place in line.

Romans 12:20

20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.