The Watchman's Cry  

Go Back   The Watchman's Cry > Fellowship Hall > The Courtyard of Discussion

Old 06-27-2016, 05:55 PM
Senior Member Formerly ageorgantas

Default The Smile

So, I got "the smile" tonight at my local Bible study. You know the one? When you tell someone very seriously and earnestly that you believe we are about to be judged in this nation and that we should be preparing to weather a storm -- and the person smiles at you like you are a child trying (unsuccessfully) to convince an adult that there is a monster under your bed? That smile.

I believe that this person -- who leads the Bible study and displays all of the fruits -- has the Spirit of God, but he 1) doesn't believe anything bad will happen and 2) thinks that it is a sign of lack of faith not to trust God completely for the future ("give no thought to what you will wear..."). This man, originally born in Egypt, has an amazing story of God's grace and providence, and he simply believes that God will provide.

What do you say to that? It's not like he's spending money frivolously and living a carnal life -- he gives all of his extra time (and I bet a good deal of his money) to the church. Is there anything TO SAY?

Greek Girl
Old 06-27-2016, 06:19 PM
Mod-er-rator

Yes, it is the pat on the head sorta thing where your concerns are minimized.

I remember a private discussion with an elder and his wife about six years ago. Every concern I voiced was shot down. Some just do not yet have the eyes to see or the ears to hear. Then again, some, are willfully ignorant. All we can do is hold the cup of water to their lips and suggest they drink. No one can make them swallow. It is frustrating and sad, but no one can force another person to awaken from their slumber.

Perhaps, it is not in the saying, just in the praying. Praying that Jesus will orchestrate divinely appointed meetings (even if with strangers) that will cause this man to see, really see, the season we are living in and the one that is coming down the tracks at lightening speed.

KJV - Psa 37: 1 - 5 "Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass."
Old 06-28-2016, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisDoulas View Post
Yes, it is the pat on the head sorta thing where your concerns are minimized.

I remember a private discussion with an elder and his wife about six years ago. Every concern I voiced was shot down. Some just do not yet have the eyes to see or the ears to hear. Then again, some, are willfully ignorant. All we can do is hold the cup of water to their lips and suggest they drink. No one can make them swallow. It is frustrating and sad, but no one can force another person to awaken from their slumber.

Perhaps, it is not in the saying, just in the praying. Praying that Jesus will orchestrate divinely appointed meetings (even if with strangers) that will cause this man to see, really see, the season we are living in and the one that is coming down the tracks at lightening speed.

Seems to me we all are being trained to know and experience God's provision and comfort when we are maligned, misunderstood, marginalized, hated, laughed at and treated condescendingly.

Take it as the gift that it is. When real persecution comes - and it is coming - we will know God as our hiding place
Old 06-28-2016, 04:25 AM

There is really not much more to say. Sometimes we voice our concerns and we know that people are just agreeing with us and trying to quickly change the subject. I'm sure it's happened to many of us. Like HisDoulas said, we can't make them drink.

Then on the other hand, I think to myself, "would they deny Christ if real persecution came to them?" I really don't think so. And what are they doing right now? If they are honoring God with their life and being a good witness, then praise the Lord for that. They are trusting in God and we are also trusting in God.

For those that are awake it can be frustrating sometimes knowing what is coming and knowing that there are so many Christians who are not awake. But the main thing is that those folks have surrendered their lives to the Lord. We are human and I believe we will continue to struggle with this.
Mark 8:36
For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?

Old 06-28-2016, 04:50 PM
Senior Member Formerly ageorgantas

Default Thanks for your thoughts!

"The smile" is definitely one of the most benign responses I have received when trying to warn people. One person told me that I was scaring people away from Jesus by using fear instead of bringing them to Him with love. Only other people who are awake understand that the only fear involved is the fear of the Lord.

I will pray for this person, and if you get a minute to pray too, his name is Shinouda. Thank you!

Greek Girl
Old 06-28-2016, 06:22 PM
Mod-er-rator

I had a dream that I was trying to warn a loved one. He slumbered on sleeping while I literally (in the dream) jumped up and down on his bed near his head.

To me, it is so frustrating, to warn for years, upon years, upon decades, with no positive response nor any indication that The Truth is penetrating the hardened hearts that have become cold, concrete walls. Being bloodied by the warnings, the rejection and mockery.......and yet The Words says:

KJV 2 Tim 3: 13 "But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing."

Gal 6: 9 "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."

I agree with our brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey
Seems to me we all are being trained to know and experience God's provision and comfort when we are maligned, misunderstood, marginalized, hated, laughed at and treated condescendingly.

Take it as the gift that it is. When real persecution comes - and it is coming - we will know God as our hiding place

KJV - Psa 37: 1 - 5 "Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass."