The Watchman's Cry  

Go Back   The Watchman's Cry > Fellowship Hall > Preparation

Old 07-29-2016, 03:14 PM

Default Stainless

A minor topic, but the latest prep the Lord has put on my mind -- metal cooking utensils. When I've run across solid stainless or enamel, I get a nudge.

Metal 1-cup coffee boilers, stainless spatulas where there is no attached handle that can fall off... camping pots with pail-handles instead of side handles. Simple, strong can openers. Knife sharpeners. Copper teapots. Kebab skewers! XD

Considering long-term power outages or resource shortages-- we would be grateful to still have a metal spoon after three years of cooking over a fire.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:41 AM

Default No rust

I am with you on the stainless steel idea. Light weight, durable, reasonably priced, no rust.
Sporting goods stores are a good place to find utensils, pots and pans, cups.

A little soap and a scratch pad are needed to care for it, and oil for cooking in it.
Heat transfer is so good one needs to be cautious when cooking, only draw back is it tends to be sticky.
Overall it is a good bet for a get home or a bug out bag.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:15 PM
Watchman's Wifey and Mod

I am also gathering cast iron. It can cook directly in a fire if need be.

I found a stainless peculator, and a stainless stove top espresso maker.

It is called a bialetti.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I am also gathering cast iron. It can cook directly in a fire if need be.

I found a stainless peculator, and a stainless stove top espresso maker.

It is called a bialetti.
Donna, I wanna come to your house when everything hits! At least we can still have coffee!!

Luke 21:36 "Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

We will either dwell in the secret place of the Most High or our flesh will make us want to hide things in secret. -- Nathan Leal
Old 08-01-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee M View Post
Donna, I wanna come to your house when everything hits! At least we can still have coffee!!
Me too, Donna…can I sleep in a tent in a corner of your property….I'll bring lots of toilet paper to share !
Old 08-02-2016, 06:54 AM

Default Pack gear

I am with Donna on the cast iron, love my Dutch ovens. Unfortunately cast iron and backpacks are incompatible. Unless you are The Hulk.

True, my disaster plan is to fort up and defend my home. My cast iron stays home unless we are car camping. Nothing works better over a fire or wood stove.
When "it" hits I may not be home, therefore I am promoting a stainless cup and spoon as survival tools in my get home gear, along with a small backpackers stove, for (instant) soups and hot beverages.
Even in summer, nights here can be very cold.

In the event that my home becomes a liability, my bug out gear also contains stainless items.
In particular I promote the clip together spoon-fork-knife combo.
A small strong can opener, cup, and pot-lid-skillet-plate combo with unattached pot holder, all stainless steel.

BTW, real stainless steel will not hold a magnet.
If you can stick a magnet to it the iron content is too high to be truly "stainless".
Old 08-02-2016, 12:51 PM
Watchman's Wifey and Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee M View Post
I do not function well without my morning jolt....so I am stocking up on coffee...

Need more though.....
Old 08-02-2016, 12:51 PM
Watchman's Wifey and Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless in the Sierras View Post
Me too, Donna…can I sleep in a tent in a corner of your property….I'll bring lots of toilet paper to share !
We are thinking of putting in two outhouses...just for this purpose...
Old 08-02-2016, 05:07 PM

We have many stainless pans. I have 3 stainless buckets for milking the goats. But we mainly cook on cast iron. One think I've been impressed by is those silly red copper pans that are advertised to death on TV. My mom gave us one. I've very skeptical. I thought it would be a piece of junk that everything sticks to. I've never had a pan that's so nonstick. It's some kind of ceramic coating that doesn't seem to scratch easy. I use metal utensils to turn eggs, meat etc. which don't stick and it doesn't seem to scratch. It's the pan I use most when Debbie's not around. If I wanted a pan for a back pack, that would be the one. Cleanup would be easy. And it's as light. Maybe they can get away with driving a car over it. But I don't expect it would hold up to my tractor.

Last edited by RADONE; 08-02-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADONE View Post
We have many stainless pans. I have 3 stainless buckets for milking the goats. But we mainly cook on cast iron. One think I've been impressed by is those silly red copper pans that are advertised to death on TV. My mom gave us one. I've very skeptical. I thought it would be a piece of junk that everything sticks to. I've never had a pan that's so nonstick. It's some kind of ceramic coating that doesn't seem to scratch easy. I use metal utensils to turn eggs, meat etc. which don't stick and it doesn't seem to scratch. It's the pan I use most when Debbie's not around. If I wanted a pan for a back pack, that would be the one. Cleanup would be easy. And it's as light. Maybe they can get away with driving a car over it. But I don't expect it would hold up to my tractor.
Your not going to test it are you?

The Sweet Psalmist
All on one thread!

http://www.watchmanscryforum.com/for...ad.php?t=30741