The Watchman's Cry  

Go Back   The Watchman's Cry > Fellowship Hall > Preparation

Old 08-14-2016, 07:56 AM

Default Flashlights???

I wanted to buy a couple of LED flashlights for Christmas gifts. However, I don't know which ones are of good, lasting quality. Granted, I know they won't work if the grid goes out, but I would like to have some with bright lights since we frequently have stuff going on in our neighborhood.

Anybody have suggestions?

Luke 21:36 "Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

We will either dwell in the secret place of the Most High or our flesh will make us want to hide things in secret. -- Nathan Leal
Old 08-14-2016, 08:30 AM

We have been happy with this one: https://www.thegrommet.com/eton-blackout-buddy-2

Think I would like to get more.

Also if it could be plugged up to a solar power that might help in a black out.

The Sweet Psalmist
All on one thread!

http://www.watchmanscryforum.com/for...ad.php?t=30741
Old 08-14-2016, 08:38 AM

Any LED flashlight made by "i-NOVA" or "Fenix" is going to last for many, many years.

For a small pocket flashlight that is very bright and only uses one AAA battery, I would recommend the i-NOVA XS. I've carried mine in my pocket for over two years now and use it almost every day. The titanium model costs around $25. This is the best little flashlight I've ever owned by far! One AAA will last for many hours on the low setting. On the high setting a new battery will still last for over two hours.

For something a little brighter and larger with multiple settings that uses 2 AA batteries I would recommend the Fenix L2D or LD20 (basically the same light except one has a skull crusher). These are a little expensive around $50, but well worth it. I've used mine in the rain, dropped them multiple times and they still look and work great.

If you have a Big-Lots store in your area, they carry rechargeable and hand-crank lanterns/flashlights made by "Sharper-Image". These things work great and cost around $25. They convert from a lantern to a flashlight and have multiple settings. These are nothing like the cheap, hand crank lanterns sold at places like Wal-Mart. These are made to last and give off a lot of light. The only problem is that they are not completely waterproof, only water resistant.

I own over 100 different flashlights and these are my recommendations based on much trial and error. Hope this helps.

"Ask, and it shall be given you; Seek, and ye shall find; Knock, and it shall be opened unto you:"
Old 08-14-2016, 08:41 AM

This one is really interesting: https://www.amazon.com/American-Blac...JS1FM890D9DWQV

Can even submerge in water. Also: "Add water once per day for up to 72 hours of continuous light."

My DH just placed the order for this one. Sounds like it works with water and no electricity. Love the idea. Pray it works well.

The Sweet Psalmist
All on one thread!

Old 08-14-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
This one is really interesting: https://www.amazon.com/American-Blac...JS1FM890D9DWQV

Can even submerge in water. Also: "Add water once per day for up to 72 hours of continuous light."

My DH just placed the order for this one. Sounds like it works with water and no electricity. Love the idea. Pray it works well.
Serena, in reading the reviews on this, it appears that it is a one-use-only product. I thought it sounded really neat, but for one use, I think I'll keep looking.

Thanks everyone for posting ideas. I will be sure to check them out!

Luke 21:36 "Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

We will either dwell in the secret place of the Most High or our flesh will make us want to hide things in secret. -- Nathan Leal
Old 08-14-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee M View Post
Serena, in reading the reviews on this, it appears that it is a one-use-only product. I thought it sounded really neat, but for one use, I think I'll keep looking.

Thanks everyone for posting ideas. I will be sure to check them out!
We didn't see that. Thank you.

The Sweet Psalmist
All on one thread!

Old 08-15-2016, 10:39 AM

My husband bought a special flash light to mount on one of his rifles, it cost almost 100 bucks. I found the following and ordered a couple, that are far superior then his ( which he now has replaced with one of these ).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have since ordered more in the last year. To give an example, my husband was on a fire on a mountain west of us about one mile away as the crow flies, I could see the lights on the engines flashing. He called and asked me to go out on the patio and point my 410 (unloaded of course) with my mounted light and turn it on. I did and all the firefighters were VERY impressed as it was the brightest light around.

These are wonderful, heavy duty, come with batteries and charger, sos setting and a couple of other settings.

Coyotes hate seeing these at night shinning their way!
Old 08-17-2016, 07:09 AM

Default EMP Proof LED's

I ditto on anything from Fenix…they get good reviews. One thing that has not been mentioned in this thread is that of an EMP blast. I have read on many survival blogs that all LED type lights will be fried and not work if exposed to an EMP. That would suck! Just when you REALLY need a flashlight, it won't work. I have also heard that it is best to have both types just in case: a LED and the old fashioned filament bulb type MagLights. What do you guys know about EMP proofing an LED flashlight other than storing it in a Faraday Cage/Container?
Old 10-29-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited1 View Post
Any LED flashlight made by "i-NOVA" or "Fenix" is going to last for many, many years.

For a small pocket flashlight that is very bright and only uses one AAA battery, I would recommend the i-NOVA XS. I've carried mine in my pocket for over two years now and use it almost every day. The titanium model costs around $25. This is the best little flashlight I've ever owned by far! One AAA will last for many hours on the low setting. On the high setting a new battery will still last for over two hours.

For something a little brighter and larger with multiple settings that uses 2 AA batteries I would recommend the Fenix L2D or LD20 (basically the same light except one has a skull crusher). These are a little expensive around $50, but well worth it. I've used mine in the rain, dropped them multiple times and they still look and work great.

If you have a Big-Lots store in your area, they carry rechargeable and hand-crank lanterns/flashlights made by "Sharper-Image". These things work great and cost around $25. They convert from a lantern to a flashlight and have multiple settings. These are nothing like the cheap, hand crank lanterns sold at places like Wal-Mart. These are made to last and give off a lot of light. The only problem is that they are not completely waterproof, only water resistant.

I own over 100 different flashlights and these are my recommendations based on much trial and error. Hope this helps.
^this. Also Olight,streamlight, and surefire are military grade ecspecially the surefires..but they are expensive. I got a bushnell from walmart years ago and i have kept it in my pocket while fixing docks on the lake. Totally waterproof. Thee colemans from walmart are not submergeable i tested them and they failed.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:30 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless in the Sierras View Post
I ditto on anything from Fenix…they get good reviews. One thing that has not been mentioned in this thread is that of an EMP blast. I have read on many survival blogs that all LED type lights will be fried and not work if exposed to an EMP. That would suck! Just when you REALLY need a flashlight, it won't work. I have also heard that it is best to have both types just in case: a LED and the old fashioned filament bulb type MagLights. What do you guys know about EMP proofing an LED flashlight other than storing it in a Faraday Cage/Container?
Plead the Blood of Christ over youreslf and all your gear when the time comes. Other than keeping it in a faraday box or getting a flashlight lined in lead i think thats tte best bet..Actually it is the best bet