The Watchman's Cry  

Go Back   The Watchman's Cry > Fellowship Hall > Preparation

Old 08-27-2016, 07:08 AM

Default Tornado preparation

I wanted to share a few things I've learned with the tornadoes we've had over the last few years.

1. When under a warning, ALWAYS put on a good pair of shoes so that if you lose everything, your feet will be protected.
2. I've been doing more preps for the grid going down, which means candles, but you don't want candles going if a tornado rips through. So I will now fix one of my "junk" drawers to be better equipped with flashlights. This way I'll know EXACTLY where to go if power goes out. No more searching.
3. Ladies, many of us are using the cross-body bags when out running our errands. Keep it on you, filled with essentials during a tornado warning. I grabbed meds, money, ammo, and gun.
4. Pee! Ha! You knew I had to add that one, right? Make sure everyone pees when a warning goes into effect so that you can duck and cover and not have to run to the bathroom in the middle of a warning.

Luke 21:36 "Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

We will either dwell in the secret place of the Most High or our flesh will make us want to hide things in secret. -- Nathan Leal
Old 08-28-2016, 05:49 AM

Here's another thought -- if you have a disaster in your area, if you have more than one hospital and need treatment, try to get to the one farthest away from you (unless you are in dire need of treatment, then go to the closest one.)

The tornado damage was mainly on the southeast side of town, so my hospital's ER was crazy busy. Yet, the hospital on the other side of town wasn't busy at all.

Luke 21:36 "Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

We will either dwell in the secret place of the Most High or our flesh will make us want to hide things in secret. -- Nathan Leal
Old 08-28-2016, 06:50 AM
Senior Member Formerly ageorgantas

Default Good ideas!

These are some very good ideas. I especially liked the one about the ER. That's something that you wouldn't really think about in the heat of the moment that could save a life.

Also, I was wondering, what is a "cross-body bag"? Is this like a fanny pack that you put meds, money, etc. in, or is this more like what I call a "messenger-style" bag? My get-home bag was stolen out of my (locked!) truck a while back, and I haven't replaced it yet. I'm looking for ideas.

Greek Girl
Old 08-28-2016, 07:45 AM

Here's a picture:

Old 08-28-2016, 12:43 PM
Senior Member Formerly ageorgantas

Default Big purse

So kind of like a big purse that balances a little better so your shoulders and back don't hurt. Good idea. Thanks!

Greek Girl
Old 08-29-2016, 02:33 PM

Here's another thought: If you put off going to the hospital for routine labs due to a disaster or bad weather in your area, then hold off a little longer -- like wait at least 10 days, if possible. The registration waiting room was filled for HOURS today, then once patients finally got registered, they had another long wait in lab or xray.