The Watchman's Cry  

Go Back   The Watchman's Cry > Fellowship Hall > Preparation

Old 09-03-2016, 01:58 AM

Default God's Naturally Storable Food

After consuming a year-old butternut squash that was as perfect as the day it was picked I thought why not get or grow a bunch of these to keep on hand. I have never kept them that long before. They need no special conditions to store. This one was kept in a room subject to temps from 30 to 95, humid and dry. I would make sure the ones to store long term have no blemishes or insect bites. Also there are so many things you can do with them with seasonings, additions to other dishes, soups, pies, whatever. Also good without anything. Enjoy!
Old 09-03-2016, 02:14 AM

Another thing that is storable long term is wheat. Not flour, but the actual wheat kernels. Another is honey, it goes hard after a while, but all you have to do is put the container in hot water to reliquefy the honey.

I have plenty of both, especially wheat.

Buy a decent grinder and solar oven and you are sorted for plenty of tasty bread for whatever trouble may come.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:13 AM
Senior Member Formerly ageorgantas

Default Ideas

Patrick: Thanks for the idea. We are not gardeners...yet. You are reminding me that it might be a good idea to at least get out there and take a shot...with my old black-thumbed self...

Empirex: Do you have a favorite recipe for a wheat bread that doesn't require yeast? We have the things you mentioned, but we really have no idea how to use them or what to do with them when we figure out how to use them.

Greek Girl

P.S. I know: city folks smh
Old 09-03-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek Girl View Post
Patrick: Thanks for the idea. We are not gardeners...yet. You are reminding me that it might be a good idea to at least get out there and take a shot...with my old black-thumbed self...

Empirex: Do you have a favorite recipe for a wheat bread that doesn't require yeast? We have the things you mentioned, but we really have no idea how to use them or what to do with them when we figure out how to use them.

Greek Girl

P.S. I know: city folks smh
Sorry I'm still learning the ropes myself Bread with yeast is easy, it's the one without that is a little harder to make, and which I've put off learning for a while now...
Old 09-03-2016, 10:56 AM
Watchman's Wifey and Mod

Pumpkins and Spaghetti squash can store for a year also...
Old 09-03-2016, 11:07 AM
Watchman's Wifey and Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empirex View Post
Another thing that is storable long term is wheat. Not flour, but the actual wheat kernels. Another is honey, it goes hard after a while, but all you have to do is put the container in hot water to reliquefy the honey.

I have plenty of both, especially wheat.

Buy a decent grinder and solar oven and you are sorted for plenty of tasty bread for whatever trouble may come.
Any hard beans too...

Pinto
Kidney
White
red

They all store easily.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Pumpkins and Spaghetti squash can store for a year also...
But not as versatile or flavourful.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:41 PM
Watchman's Wifey and Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick H. View Post
But not as versatile or flavourful.
I make the most amazing and simple pumpkin chicken and lentil soup....

And I guess you have not tried my Spaghetti squash with meat sauce and cream cheese.......
Old 09-03-2016, 05:52 PM

I planted a bunch of squash this summer. They seem to grow better than most things in my garden. I should be finished building the root cellar by the end of the month so I'll have somewhere to put them and the potatoes. Some of the pumpkins are oblong, about the size of 2 basket balls. Hopefully the goats like them too. They're high in copper and goats need copper. That's why I planted so many. Funny but copper is poison to sheep.