The Watchman's Cry  

Go Back   The Watchman's Cry > Fellowship Hall > Prayer Requests and Encouraging Words

Old 10-13-2016, 06:30 PM

Default Please pray for mom, fell today, sudden dementia?

Please pray for my mom. She's been coughing for the past 2 months but is too afraid to see the doctor in case he sends her to hospital and they hurt her like they hurt dad. We tried honey, ginger, removing diary products, camomille tea but nothing helps, as she has a lot of phlegm and goes into a coughing fit then she's trembling and can't do anything. She's had a chest x-ray and antibiotics.

She fell today but says she didn't hurt herself. She seems to be in shock and I'm very worried because she can't tell where she is (keeps asking me to put her in bed but she's already in bed). No fever so don't think it's UTI, but she told me to change her shirt because it was very dirty (it has patterns and she has worn it for years). I put lavender on her pillow and she's sleeping now but I don't know what to do as she's gone so weak (had to use commode for the 1st time tonight).

I want to try some of the Bach flower essences because she tells me she feels very nervous. Is this a good idea as it's mixed with alcohol and a bit weird to me. She's on heart meds too so I don't know what the contraindications will be. I'm so exhausted and in despair as I'm so helpless. I don't want to lose her as it's exactly 10 months today that we lost my dad. It's my birthday next week and when I told her she immediately forgot.

We have a new part-time caregiver but I'm praying to God to let me know if I should leave my job and care for her full-time. We'll struggle financially as I can't work from home and look after her (seems like she needs 7x24 care).

Please pray for my mom to recover, for me to know how to help her, and for me to make the right decision. There's no way I'll let her go to a nursing home because of the abuse caused by drastic government cost cutting.
Psalm 37:39-40 "39 But the salvation of the righteous is of the Lord: he is their strength in the time of trouble. 40 And the Lord shall help them, and deliver them: he shall deliver them from the wicked, and save them, because they trust in him.".
Old 10-13-2016, 07:07 PM
Watchman's Wifey and Mod

Praying for your mother to be healed of both her chest congestion and dementia.

Have you tried mucinex? Elderberry syrup? or nettle? All three work well for drying out or expelling phlegm.

Praying
Old 10-13-2016, 08:31 PM

The Sweet Psalmist
All on one thread!

http://www.watchmanscryforum.com/for...ad.php?t=30741
Old 10-14-2016, 09:05 AM

Thank you for your prayers. I'm giving her Sambucol twice a day as this is elderberry and helps the mucus come out. Not sure how to stop her coughing and throwing off her diapers at night. I repeat to myself "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" and will try my best to care for her regardless of her actions.

My mind was wandering as I was seeking God, and I'm thinking that maybe God is allowing a slow dementia so she doesn't worry so much. I pray He's not hastening taking her to heaven because if WW3 starts, we won't cope at all!

We do thank Him that from Feb-Aug, we had a Christian companion for her (she didn't need so much care then) who explained again the gospel twice a month. She accepted Jesus in 1982 and I pray that God will honour her salvation even if she doesn't know how to pray anymore.
Psalm 37:39-40 "39 But the salvation of the righteous is of the Lord: he is their strength in the time of trouble. 40 And the Lord shall help them, and deliver them: he shall deliver them from the wicked, and save them, because they trust in him.".
Old 10-14-2016, 10:19 AM
Mod-er-rator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intruth View Post
Thank you for your prayers. I'm giving her Sambucol twice a day as this is elderberry and helps the mucus come out. Not sure how to stop her coughing and throwing off her diapers at night. I repeat to myself "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" and will try my best to care for her regardless of her actions.

My mind was wandering as I was seeking God, and I'm thinking that maybe God is allowing a slow dementia so she doesn't worry so much. I pray He's not hastening taking her to heaven because if WW3 starts, we won't cope at all!

We do thank Him that from Feb-Aug, we had a Christian companion for her (she didn't need so much care then) who explained again the gospel twice a month. She accepted Jesus in 1982 and I pray that God will honour her salvation even if she doesn't know how to pray anymore.
Has her glucose blood level been checked any time recently? When my sister's sugar level was too high she would behave erratically, like throwing off her bed clothes and talking irrationally. Just a thought.

KJV - Psa 37: 1 - 5 "Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass."
Old 10-14-2016, 10:52 AM

Luke 21:36
Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man. (KJV)
Old 10-14-2016, 01:30 PM
Senior Member Formerly ageorgantas

Greek Girl
Old 10-14-2016, 06:18 PM

Praying for your Mother to be healed.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:54 AM

Praying.
Infections in older people will cause sudden dementia, especially an UTI. Even if she wont go to the hospital try and get someone to check her urine asap. Sometimes they wont complain of any specific symptoms and they will just appear overnight.
It might not be that but it is very important you rule it out. After it is ruled out then work with other possible reasons.

Pat
Old 10-15-2016, 04:38 AM

Thank you all for praying - God listens to the righteous. Mom slept better last night and didn't throw her diapers out. Yesterday she told me she felt like her tummy was very full, so I gave her laxative and she's now clean (although the carpet isn't). I'm learning not to trust the caregivers who tell me her bowel movements are normal and not to give laxative even if she asks - so they don't have to clean her. Years ago they did it to dad and now they're doing it to mom. She sounds better too, not so incoherent.

Mom had a blood test in August and her glucose was normal. I don't like her cardiologist because it was he who told me at the hospital to just let my dad die because it's so hard for me to care for him. I shouted at him that that is my responsibility and we're not the Lifegiver, only God has the right to make that decision.

Still not sure why mom's coughing so much (will continue with the Sambucol) - one of the visiting psw's said it's because one't trachea can become smaller in old age. We're still believing God for Him to restore her health.

Sorry to be writing so much, but this forum is my church family now (actually my only family now that mom's relatives have left us alone as dad left them nothing in his will) ...