The Watchman's Cry  

Go Back   The Watchman's Cry > Fellowship Hall > General Discussions

Old 11-02-2016, 01:24 PM

Default Christmas Trees

There's nothing like having summer-like temps and going to the mall to see the displays of decorated Christmas trees. They will all be auctioned off in a couple of weeks for a local charity. There were some really neat ones this year, but it was still weird to be looking at them when we're dressed for summer weather.

Luke 21:36 "Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

We will either dwell in the secret place of the Most High or our flesh will make us want to hide things in secret. -- Nathan Leal
Old 11-02-2016, 03:07 PM
Watchman's Wifey and Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee M View Post
There's nothing like having summer-like temps and going to the mall to see the displays of decorated Christmas trees. They will all be auctioned off in a couple of weeks for a local charity. There were some really neat ones this year, but it was still weird to be looking at them when we're dressed for summer weather.
We do not have that issue here in North Idaho. LOL

I love looking at the Christmas decorations..it makes me smile.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:06 PM

I'm the very opposite. I dislike pagan practices, and cannot look at a decorated Christmas tree without cringing!
Old 11-04-2016, 05:19 PM
Mod-er-rator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncastle View Post
I'm the very opposite. I dislike pagan practices, and cannot look at a decorated Christmas tree without cringing!
Guess you also cringe when you say or your employer tells you to report to work on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, January, February, March, or name the Hebrew calendar year, etc.....all pagan names and Babylonian names?!!!

Suncastle..... Christ Jesus gives us freedom to celebrate or to eat or not to partake. Please refrain from quilting other members over your own personal convictions. Our self imposed righteousness is as filthy rags before The Lord, and doesn't make us better than our brethren.

See wcf rules....

KJV - Psa 37: 1 - 5 "Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass."

Last edited by HisDoulas; 11-04-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:15 PM
Watchman's Wifey and Mod

Quote:
We do not allow holiday shaming on this forum. PERIOD.

Read the rules on Christmas and holidays.

http://www.watchmanscryforum.com/for...ad.php?t=17227
Old 11-05-2016, 08:04 AM

When I see a Christmas Tree I am reminded of a Dear Friend who told me of her perspective on the Christmas Tree.
The tree is an evergreen to remind us of Christ's everlasting life and love.
It is a tree to remind us that Christ died on the tree to save us from sin.
The lights remind us to take the give of Christ and light the world
The gifts remind us of the greatest gift of all and how we should give gifts by generosity and sharing the ultimate gift of Christ.
The tinsel and other decorations remind us of Joy and how we have joy and freedom in Christ.
That was shared with me when I was struggling with the pagan concept so when I put up my tree I remind my family why WE put it up.
For those who do not want to then they should not.

Pat
Old 11-05-2016, 08:31 AM

Default Pondering the Christmas Tree

Here is a devotion I wrote several years ago regarding my Christmas tree, and a new way of looking at it.

Pondering the Christmas Tree
Early one morning, while spending some quiet time with the Lord, I began to gaze upon my Christmas tree.* Since it was still dark outside, I had turned on the lights, and was gazing upon the beauty of the tree.* I began to ponder on the many items which are on the tree, thinking of how I could look at them in different ways, leading me to think upon Christ each time I see my tree.
The first thing I think upon is the tree itself.* My Jesus died on a tree for me. Underneath my tree, I have a small nativity. It is a constant reminder to me of the real meaning of Christmas.

Underneath the tree branches, the tinsel, the lights, and all of the decorations is the tree stand, to which all of the branches fit in.* The post is the most important part of the tree, for if it wasn't there, then all of the other items couldn't be in their proper place.* This makes me think about how Jesus should*be*first and foremost in our lives.* If He isn't, then all of the other things in our life won't be in their proper place. Also, the tree stand is in the middle of the tree, as Jesus should be the center of our lives.

As I was put up the tree every year, I always use those little ‘filler’ pieces to help cover the tree stand. The ‘filler’ wraps around the post, surrounding it. It reminds me of how I am surrounded with the Lord’s favor as with a shield.

Looking upon the branches to the tree reminds me that I am a branch, connected to the Vine.* Apart from Him, I will die, so it is imperative for me to make sure that I am staying connected to Him.

If I were to draw a Christmas tree on paper, if I didn't make it in a 3-D shape, it would most likely be triangular in shape, with the tip pointing to heaven.* The triangular shape makes me think of our triune God.* The tip*points heavenward, reminding me of how I am to set my affections above, not on things on this earth because they will quickly fade.

As I look upon the red bulbs, it reminds me of the blood of Christ, shed for me so that I could be set free from the bondage of sin.

Seeing how the tinsel glistens with the reflection of the Christmas lights, so are we to be reflecting Christ in our lives, letting others see His glory in us. One year, I taught this very lesson in my Sunday school class, taking in all of my decorations, tinsel and all. When I held up the tinsel, it started shedding right before my eyes. I laughed and commented that just as the tinsel sheds, so am I to shed all of my fleshly garments.

Seeing the angels remind me that God has angels watching over me, as well as my loved ones.

I have a 'mother-to-be' ornament, given to me when I was expecting Rachel.* Seeing that ornament reminds me that just as God allowed me to experience the wonder of giving birth, He also births gifts within each one of us.*

As I see the ornament of a gift, it reminds me that we are not to keep our gifts to ourselves, but we are to share them with others.

Each gift which He gives us needs to be offered up*to Him, just as the wisemen offered their gifts to Jesus.

The snowman on my tree reminds me of how God takes my sins away, making me whiter than snow.

This same snowman ornament shows such delight on the faces of the snowman and the child. When I think of being washed whiter than snow, do I show that same kind of pure delight on my face?

Seeing the ornaments of sweet, Christmas goodies, I am reminded how my Jesus is sweeter than anything this world has to offer me.

I have a bell that reminds of the ‘ringing’ of the Holy Spirit, warning me when I start to stray, or even ‘ringing’ as a phone does when someone just wants to chat with me. The Holy Spirit sometimes just wants the opportunity to chat with us.

The gold ornaments remind me of my heavenly home, where the streets are made of gold.

The beautiful ornaments which grace my tree remind me of the beauty which Jesus gave me for all of my ashes.

There is one ornament with Precious Moments characters in a scene of Bethlehem. It reminds me of how precious my Jesus is to me.

Another bulb has two little girls on it – one of whom is an angel. The other girl has a countenance filled with wonder and awe, reminding me that I need to take time, especially during this busy season to stand in awe of my Lord.
The ballerina reminds me of how Jesus turned my mourning into dancing. Even though I may not be physically dancing, there are many times when my spirit is dancing.

I have one ornament of a church. I like to stick it on top of one of the lights so that the beautiful light will shine through the windows of the little church. It reminds me that while it is good to show forth my light in church, it’s more important to show that light in this sin-darkened world.

As the lights add a cozy, inviting touch to the room, so the light of Christ should shine through us in a way that makes Christianity look inviting to them.

The star on my tree says “I love Dad,” reminding me that I am to love my Heavenly Dad far above all others. This same ornament is in the shape of a star. It represents the star which the wisemen followed to find Jesus.* That star led them to God the Son, who came to earth as a humble baby, trusting Himself to the care of Mary, who was a woman, born in sin, as we all are.* What humble beginnings for the sinless Son of God, yet He chose to leave His royalty behind, and He did it for me.* What love He has for all of us!

Finally, as I behold the gold trumpet, I am reminded of the day when the trumpet shall sound, and I shall behold my Savior, coming in the clouds of glory to take me home.
I share these intimate moments involving my Lord and my Christmas tree with you, in hopes that you will begin to look at your tree differently. As you do, I pray the Lord just ministers to you and touches your heart in a new way this Christmas season. *
© 2003, Stacy R. Miller

ETA: I copied this from a Word document. I'm not sure why it added all of the asterisks.

Luke 21:36 "Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man."

We will either dwell in the secret place of the Most High or our flesh will make us want to hide things in secret. -- Nathan Leal
Old 11-10-2016, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Whenever I hear something like this, I always think "Then I guess you won't mind giving me all of your money."

Seriously though, here's the deal: we live in a fallen world. Satan is the prince of this world and if you dig deep enough, you're going to find his fingerprints on just about everything. People argue that if you have something that has a pagan symbol on it, demons could attack you. I disagree and if that were the case, we'd all be screwed because we carry cash and debit cards in our pockets every day. As long as I'm not actively seeking that dark stuff, if there are demons attached to things, my God is big enough and strong enough to protect me from them.

As for Christmas: yes, it's true that Jesus wasn't born on December 25th. BUT astronomy itself has proven that it is the day that the three wise men brought their gifts to Jesus. Christmas is a time to honor Christ and it's the best time of the year to let Jesus to show his love through us to people who are hurting.

True story: last year, I wasn't going to be doing anything over Christmas holidays. One of my friends invited over to his house Christmas Eve night to eat dinner with him and his family (mom, brothers, sisters, and their kids). It was good to see them all again. I had a great time and they really made me feel loved and appreciated.

And they're all atheists.

When atheists are reaching out to lonely, hurting people and Christians are sticking their noses up in the air and saying "I'm too good for that", something is terribly, terribly, dreadfully wrong in the Body of Christ.

So many people are still trying to earn God's love and earn their way into Heaven. You don't have to try to make God love you, He already does. They're doing all this stuff and they have no relationship with Christ and it breaks His heart. They're trying so hard to perform to impress God, people, and themselves, when all it amounts to is nothing. If he was telling the truth, the rich young ruler kept most of the ten commandments for years and Jesus wasn't impressed. So many Christians think they're so special because they try to adhere to their list of do's and avoid their list of don'ts. Paul said "I am nothing". It's not about our daily performance. It's about every day, making the choice to let Jesus live in and through us. Jesus is the narrow gate. Jesus is the light of the world. If you're walking with Him, you're entering through the narrow gate and you're walking in the light.

Last edited by The Knight; 11-10-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:16 PM
Senior Member Formerly ageorgantas

Default Quotable!

Quote:
Jesus is the narrow gate. Jesus is the light of the world. If you're walking with Him, you're entering through the narrow gate and you're walking in the light.
I LOVE this! I hope you don't mind if I tweet this to bless some more people with this wonderful piece of wisdom!

Greek Girl
Old 11-10-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greek Girl View Post
I LOVE this! I hope you don't mind if I tweet this to bless some more people with this wonderful piece of wisdom!

Greek Girl

Not at all, GG. All glory to God!