The Watchman's Cry  

Go Back   The Watchman's Cry > Fellowship Hall > Preparation

Old 11-04-2009, 05:27 AM
Banned

Default Preparing for good deals on preps

We are fast approaching the glorified retail holiday season where in the past places like Wally World has it's shelves gorged with festive pagan throw always. The profit margin on these is high because they know even poor people will buy them anyway.

But then comes the backside.....they overstocked......followed shortly after the season, the Massive markdown..........

So what to look for to get good deals on your preps.

Well, it must be something you will need and it must be able to last a long time in storage without degrading

So, last year I looked at "candles". Wally world had shelves simply full of the things. At the end of the season in the week after New Years they marked these down by 75%. The original price of $3.00 was marked down to .75 These candles are 7 1/2 inches tall and 3(2 3/4 actually) inches in diameter. Once lit they burn for about 3 days(I think).

You cannot buy paraffin wax in bulk and make your own for this price.

Oh, and paraffin will almost last forever. You can bury it and it will still burn 50 years later.

So if anyone finds any good deals out there or notices certain holiday items are massively overstocked, post it here.

Happy preping,

Chris

PS It must be the squirrel in me!!
Old 11-04-2009, 06:03 AM

Thanks for the tip~I never would have thought of that!
Old 11-04-2009, 06:19 AM

Hey, it's good in chocolate!
Old 11-04-2009, 06:44 AM

Well, it gives me heartBURN !
Old 11-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Banned

Default don't forget the matches unless your good with 2 sticks rubbing together LOL!

Don't forget the matches unless your good with 2 sticks rubbing together LOL!
Kmart has for $14 (in The Camping Gear) a Crank up L.E.D. Latern with 3 brightness settings
(Needs NO Batteries) its very nice and stays charged for weeks it Even has a small Compass on Top incase you Whind up in Egypt LOL! Ha! Ha!
No Wandering in Egypt for 40 years would be really Nice, Hey guys next time Stop and ask for directions as your wife said to The 1st year Lost LOL!!!
You really wanta go another 39 more years Lost ?
ink:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servant Chris View Post
We are fast approaching the glorified retail holiday season where in the past places like Wally World has it's shelves gorged with festive pagan throw always. The profit margin on these is high because they know even poor people will buy them anyway.

But then comes the backside.....they overstocked......followed shortly after the season, the Massive markdown..........

So what to look for to get good deals on your preps.

Well, it must be something you will need and it must be able to last a long time in storage without degrading

So, last year I looked at "candles". Wally world had shelves simply full of the things. At the end of the season in the week after New Years they marked these down by 75%. The original price of $3.00 was marked down to .75 These candles are 7 1/2 inches tall and 3(2 3/4 actually) inches in diameter. Once lit they burn for about 3 days(I think).

You cannot buy paraffin wax in bulk and make your own for this price.

Oh, and paraffin will almost last forever. You can bury it and it will still burn 50 years later.

So if anyone finds any good deals out there or notices certain holiday items are massively overstocked, post it here.

Happy preping,

Chris

PS It must be the squirrel in me!!
Old 11-04-2009, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Miss Iodine View Post
Well, it gives me heartBURN !
At my age almost everything that tastes good gives me heartburn
Old 11-04-2009, 07:38 AM

I got a really good deal in cooking lessons.
I met a nice lady from Cairo. She taught me how to cook Chinese stir fry.
Now I can "Wok like an Egyptian".

No. That didn't really happen.

Candles are a must during long power outages if you don't have the battery free stuff. That is good advice to stock up on them after the Winter Solstice (I understand there is some sort of holiday around that time). Be careful! Don't leave candles lit in an unoccupied room!

The ten Boom family read books at night during the blackouts by having one of them ride a stationery bike with a generator hooked up to the tire.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:00 AM
Banned

I did a quick walkthrough at WallyWorld yesterday. The number of Christmas candles was nothing compared to last year. Only a small section compared to entire shelves last year. Prices seemed to be the same though.

I did see a good deal at Sam's on 10% hamburger. For a case( 80 lbs) the price was $1.65/lb. Granted you have to buy 80 lbs but at my house that will last about 6 months. I have heard that the hamburger at Sam's/Wallyworld has a high water content. Anybody know.

Chris

Just cooked up 10 pounds of it. It's actually better than I expected

Last edited by Servant Chris; 12-05-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:33 AM

Default Costco Emergency Food 5 Gal. Bucket Kit

$89.99 Includes Shipping and Handling. They are dehydrated food and store for 20 yrs at 60 degree. Read reviews and decide for yourself. 275 servings.
No meat.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...554&lang=en-US

Click on next product and see other emergency food

Last edited by freewill; 12-06-2009 at 04:48 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freewill View Post
$89.99 Includes Shipping and Handling. They are dehydrated food and store for 20 yrs at 60 degree. Read reviews and decide for yourself. 275 servings.
No meat.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...554&lang=en-US

Click on next product and see other emergency food
I have read some reviews by people on other websites that say the meals are very tasty, even if they are a bit small. If this kit were suplimented with 50 lbs of rice and 50 lbs of beans it could go a very long way for a family of 4.

Chris