The Watchman's Cry  

Go Back   The Watchman's Cry > Fellowship Hall > Preparation

Old 01-06-2010, 07:31 AM

Much appreciated!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Member--formerly known as oldfarmer

98. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)

I am probably just very dense, but what is it about an Atomizer that is so important for cooling or bathing? An atomizer is a small spray bottle that distributes cologne or perfume -- Right? I don't understand the importance of an atomizer. Or what they're talking about. Can someone please help me understand the importance of this item? For bathing or cooling, a washcloth with soap and water is more important to me than an atomizer. I think I'm having a "Duh" moment.
Thanks so much.
Cathy in Ohio

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Psalm 91:1-2

Old 01-10-2010, 02:04 PM

By atomizer,I think they mean a spray bottle like windex comes in.But filled with water,you could spray mist on yourself.My daughter has one like that with a small battery powered fan.As the mist evaporates it will cool you.

Any Dr. or Nurse will be very popular,Lawyers will be of zero need.As far as a generator goes,you may as well have a neon sign pointing at you that's say's "Free Food!".When the only noise will be wind,a generator could be heard from a long way off. Some co.that sell prep type stuff should manufacture some horse pulled plows w/harness & reins.Seeds are great,but it would be back breaking to plant enough to feed a family a year.It's odd that the things of highest cost $ today,will mostly be useless junk without power or gasoline.All those super expensive big screen plasma T.V.'s won't be of much use.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Member--formerly known as oldfarmer

Thank you SaddleTramp for the explanation -- It makes perfect sense to me now. I appreciate your help with this.

Yes, you're right about the sound of generators. I think people will be ok for a short time until fuel gets scarce. All of my neighbors have generators and it will be pretty noisy in our neck of the woods. Guess I'll play it by ear -- sorry about the pun -- when it quiets down, would be wise to be quiet like the others.

Thanks again,

Cathy in cold, snowy Ohio

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
Psalm 91:1-2

Old 12-09-2013, 07:12 AM
Mod-er-rator

bump

KJV - Psa 37: 1 - 5 "Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass."
Old 12-09-2013, 05:33 PM

HisDoulas,

Thanks for bumping this thread. While I have seen the list elsewhere in the past, I've not seen it posted here.

When I began prepping, my initial priorities were:

1. Water. You're dead in about three days without it.

2. Shelter. If you can't get out of bad weather, you'll die of thermal exposure.

3. Food. You've got about 10 to 14 days of survival without food.

4. Protection/self defense. You might have items $1, #2 & #3 above but, if you can't keep someone from taking these things from you, your chance of surviving very long have been reduced to nearly unbeatable odds.

5. A good quality fixed blade knife. and/or a good quality multi-tool.

6. 550 Para-cord for making a bow-string fire starter, snares and trout line.

7. Good walking boots and several pairs of heavy wool socks. If you can't walk, you can't survive.

8. Appropriate clothing for the geographical area in which you are located.

9. A good sub-freezing (preferably sub-zero) sleeping bag and ground matt.

10. A good tent.

11. Camp cooking utensils, frying pan, large pot & lid, specular, tongs, hot-pads, etc.

12. Stick matches.

13. Magnifying glass for a greater success at fire starting.

From here, the list could expand out, more or less, according to a persons own personal comfort level. If you are an outdoors type, you might well be ok with less creature comforts, such as toilet paper or under-arm deodorant. Only you can make that call.

A few notes of a more general nature:

I know people who go out and purchase the very best, thinking that they will last longer or serve them better. A case in point...

I work with a guy who bought a $300.00 Bench-made folding knife for use at work. These knives, for sure are top-of-the-line. Well, the guy only had it a few weeks, before he broke his $300.00 knife due to excessive abuse. Yes, Bench-made knives are among the best out there, I suppose. But the fact is, where (and for what) this high dollar knife was being used was all wrong. Negating the fact that the guy broke the thing; What if he simply lost that high dollar knife. There is a place called BUDK.com that sells $20.00 knives that are more than adequate and durable for use at the job-site, as well as out at the camp-site.

In addition, for that $300.00 spent on one single Bench-made knife, the guy could have bought fifteen $20.00 knives, all of which would have served his purpose. In fact, I have done just that! I have about 10 fixed blade knives that I purchased from BUDK.com for $20.00 each. I fully expect that, once called upon for service, they will have a very hard life. I don't have to worry about breaking or losing them because I bough several of them for the price of that one expensive Bench-made knife.

Something I don't see mentioned on this forum is GOOD (Get Out Of Dodge) bags, or Go-bags. A GOOD bag is an emergency survival bag that you keep at the main exit of your home, one for each person. A Go-bag is a bag you keep in your vehicle, incase you find yourself in a position where you have to abandon your vehicle and walk home.

The fact is, I keep a Go-bag in each of my vehicles. Each bag has extra cloths, 550 Parra-cord, two fixed blade knives, a multi-tool, a magnifying glass, stick matches, some basic medical supplies, some stick matches in a water-proof container, several BIC lighters, several bottles of water, a water purifier, a camel-back and a nine-day high energy supply of food.

At the front door of the house, I have a GOOD bag that holds the same items, but more food, more medical supplies, more matches, etc...

Preparing for the big event is all well and good. But please consider preparing for the event where you absolutely need to evacuate your home or abandon your vehicle and simply don't have the time to gather things. It doesn't matter if you are prepared to never have to leave your home for the next three years, given a societal collapse. If you need to leave your home so quickly that you can't gather any of it, your numerous and plentiful preparations end up doing you absolutely no good.

Everywhere you go on the Internet, there seems to be much discussion about firearms and their use for protection against would-be looters. But consider this... as the economy spirals down the drain, I can only presume that food will be more and more expensive and harder to get. Well, for many families, the kids will get fed before any pets, such as dogs and cats. These people who find that they can no longer justify feeding their pets will be depositing them out in the rural areas - it's already happening now and has been for quite some time, out where I live. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't see some frightened, panic stricken dog looking for his master to come along and rescue it.

So this leads to a growing problem and one that is about to grow exponentially - feral animals. The issue here is, as the economy continues to spiral out of control and families can no longer feed their animals, the typical mindset will be "I can't put pit-bull, German Shepard or Doberman-Pincer to sleep - that is inhumane! I know, I'll take him out into the country and let him go where he'll at least have a chance at surviving - I love my pet so much, that's what I'll do, rather then put it to sleep..."

Well, here is the problem. First, those animals have no experience at surviving out in the wild. But they will pack-up just like Wolves. Once the weak among them are eaten by those larger dogs that are more prone to survival, they'll go after small game and live-stock. When those resources are depleted, guess what? We humans are next on the K-8 pack menu. And guess what else, individually, many of these feral dogs will inherently have no fear of humans. In a pack of 10, 20 or 30 of them, a group of one or two humans attempting to defend themselves against a pack of one-hundred plus pound K-9s won't have a sliver of a chance at surviving an attack. For a chilling scenario of just such a case, read a book, "Grid Down, Reality Bites" by Bruce "Buckshot" Hemming. http://www.amazon.com/Reality-Bites-...+reality+bites

Bruce Hemming is an expert hunter, trapper and tan expert on he problems caused by the repopulation of Canadian Wolves in the South Dakota area.

So, for those of you who think that having some sort of semi-automatic firearm is unnecessary, think again. I think facing a pack of feral dogs (or even wolves) is one of the single most frightening things we may one day face, when society finally does collapse. Because of what I have learned about wolves and feral dogs, I did add a couple M&P AR15-22 rim-fire rifles, fourteen 25 round magazines and a hefty quantity of .22LR ammunition to my preparations.

All of the above is food for your thought. Thanks for reading...
"Those whom the Lord loves He reproves, even as a father corrects the son in whom he delights." - Proverbs 3:12, New American Standard - Updated Edition
Quote:
"The prudent sees evil and hides himself, but the naive go on, and are punished for it." - Proverbs 22:3, New American Standard - Updated Edition
Old 12-09-2013, 08:37 PM

Good comment on dog packs...

M

"In essentials unity, in non-essentials liberty, in all things charity." Rupertus Meldenius
Old 12-10-2013, 09:46 AM

Default wow!

wow microcarl, good suggestions. thanks for taking the time to post them. have 2 go bags ready to go, but not as complete as yours!
Old 06-07-2016, 02:34 AM
Mod-er-rator

Bump.

KJV - Psa 37: 1 - 5 "Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious against the workers of iniquity. For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the green herb. Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed. Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass."
Old 06-07-2016, 06:56 AM

I was just talking with my daughter about this two days ago. I was explaining to her how it is now hurricane season and when a hurricane is inbound, all the grocery stores get emptied out in a heartbeat. Last time there was a hurricane here in Houston, there were some folks without any electricity for about two weeks during very hot & humid days. Looking at that list I realize I've got some work to do. Thanks for all the great advice brothers & sisters.
Mark 8:36
For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul?